Resilience enhancement and water demand management for climage change adaptation. (Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal) The alteration of rainfall patter (form, intensity and timing of rainfall) will have significant effects on water availability and frequency of extreme events such as floods and droughts. The knock-on effects of these changes will affect almost all communities throughout Europe, and most economic sectors. This project will examine river basins Po (Italy), Weser (Germany), Guadalquivir (Spain) and Guadiana (Portugal). It will i) identify ‘social drivers’ of water scarcity; ii) assess the magnitude and mediating factors of water scarcity- and drought-induced impacts; and iii) revisit the performance and wider impacts of the water demand management policies.
The project was presented at the following workshops and meetings:
- International Workshop on "Resilience - Harnessing Science for Better Disaster Management", Venice, October 6-7, 2010. The workshop was organised by FEEM as a joint activity of the research network SOLACE (Social Costs of, and Resilience to, Natural Disasters) and the International Center for Climate Governance. The workshop was attended by 30 participants from policy (UNISDR, Regional Environmental Protection Agency of Calabria - Functional Centre, TWAS, World Bank), academy (Leuphana University of Lüneburg, Institut of Spatial Planning - TU Dortmund University, Alterra – WUR, , Politecnico di Milano, and Vienna University of Economics and Business, SORESMA), research institutes (FEEM, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research, IIASA) and civil society organisations (Wetlands International, IUCN, ACRA, Red Cross Climate Centre, Soresma,). All presentations are available from http://www.iccgov.org/workshop_better_disaster_management_papers.htm
- International Conference of the Alpine Convention “Water in the Alps”, Venice, November 25-26, 2010.
- Scientific Coordination Project Kick off-Meeting,Brussels, November 30, 2010
- Final IWRM-net conference, Brussels, December 1-3, 2010
- UNISDR Partnership of Environment and Disaster Risk Reduction (PEDDR) Ecosystems, Livelihoods and Disaster Risk Reduction, Bonn, Germany, September 1-3, 2010.
- Science-Policy Interface under the Common Implementation Strategy (CIS-SPI) for the Water Framework Directive (WFD), organised by DG Research,Brussels, September 30, 2010.
- European CIRCLE-2 Expert workshop on Uncertainties in Climate change Impacts, Vulnerability and Adaptation uncertainties, Stockholm, November 11-12, 2010.
|1st snythesis report Water2Adapt.pdf||206.96 KB|
|W2A FinalReport.pdf||5.11 MB|